Sunday, May 3, 2015

A Beautiful Gift


This is a journal spread in my brand new journal. This journal is special to me because it was a gift from my husband for my birthday. 


It is a leather bound cover with a blank sketchbook inside. It's a beautiful book and I was totally overwhelmed. My husband had always been supportive of my hobbies and interests. He has never complained about all the supplies I've accumulated. But he has never really had much interest in what I do. So this was totally a surprise. And my kids even got me a gift card to Michael's! I felt so cherished (borrowing my friend, Brad's word). I felt that my family was valuing and honoring my passion. 

So back to my art above. I may be obsessing a bit about my age. Maybe I'm going through a mid-life crisis, who knows. I don't feel any different than I did a few days ago, maybe a few more gray hair, but nothing noticeable. But it's a mind set. I can't get sucked into thinking I'm somehow less than I was before. And it's nothing others are making me feel this, it's all in my mind. I guess that's why I liked that quote by Twain. So enough, already. No more talk of my age!


The next piece I did in my new journal was a response to a journal prompt from a Facebook group, Fauxbonichi Journalers (check us out!). What is my dream job? Well, that's easy! I'd like to be a professional tester of all things art supplies! Companies would sent me a complete line of their new products, and I'd get to try them and review them. Lol. For this piece, I used the ends of a baby bokchoy we had several days ago that I had saved as a stamp. Using some acrylic paints, I stamped the flowers and filled in the flowers. The leaves and the background wash was done with Staedtler watercolor crayons. 

I'm going to enjoy using this new lovely journal. What was your favorite or most special gift you've received?


4 comments:

  1. Mornin' Angelcake. You have a very nice, caring family. Love this, as I do all of your work. Anyhoo, most special gift I received? Well this is going to sound quite cheesy but I don't care. On our second anniversary I found out I was pregnant with my second child. I was anxious about telling my husband because our firstborn was only seven months old at the time and I didn't know what kind of reaction Mufu was going to have. So, we went to a nice restaurant and after loading up on some very nice bread, I hesitantly broke the news. The smile on that man's face was like the sun breaking up all the fog in my head (never said I was a writer). His great joy was one of the best gifts I've ever received! A couple of cruises weren't bad either :)
    It's kind of startling how mushy I can get sometimes. Once again, thanks for sharing, Ms Kari <3
    Deedles

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wonderful the things our husbands do to make us happy. When we think they're not paying attention to the things we love....they actually are paying attention...just not the way we want them to. The piece you've done here is absolutely beautiful! Your creativity is off the chart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your family made you feel so special. Sometimes it really doesn't take much to warm our hearts! By the way, everything I see you create I want. Just saying. Chance would love those roses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that WOULD be a fun job! I've always wanted to name streets. I think we have far too many semi-pretentious ones in Houston. Like Creek Bend - no creek, no bend. Ant Hill View Drive would be much more accurate. :-) VERY PRETTY colors! I especially like the one on the top!

    ReplyDelete